Past projects: Shared Narratives: Museum, Memory Boxes and Art Therapy (2019). Vanessa was in charge of the administrative work for exhibition design, such as sourcing and liaising with contractors, design work for floor plan and layouts, design of the catalogue and liaising with project stakeholders. Vanessa participated in the LASALLE-Goldsmiths Partnership Innovation Exchange (2019 – 2020).
Arts management in Singapore's independent wind bands: case study of the Philharmonic Winds and the Philharmonic Youth Winds
While wind bands are often thought of as the lesser cousins to orchestras, the number of such bands in Singapore has grown over the years, with more than 220 of such bands in schools, at least 30 community and alumni bands, five independent bands and two professional bands. However, despite the growing number of wind bands in the scene and the extensive efforts of the bands to bring their music to the public, how much of these efforts and strategies have helped to uplift the image of wind bands as an art form and bring more audiences into the fold? Employing a qualitative research method through a case study approach and semi-structured interviews, the purpose of this research is to investigate and study Singapore’s independent wind bands, The Philharmonic Winds and The Philharmonic Youth Winds, in contemporary Singapore to understand their management and the impacts of their efforts and strategies in relation to the development of audiences. This paper seeks to help arts managers and practitioners think about their practice and improve managerial and organisational practice.
May – Sep 2019
ArtWorks.sg (Art Therapy)
Design work: website design, marketing materials
May – Jul 2019
National Museum of Singapore
Intern, working as programmes assistant and volunteer management for Children's Season
- Set-up, liaised with vendors, facilitated programmes on-site to create positive meaningful visitor experiences, photo documentation and conducted observations of programmes, collected quantitative and qualitative feedback from families, assisted with logistics, data entry and after-event evaluation report
- Liaised with volunteers on and off-site
Apr 2018 – Jun 2019
- Designed company's website, email signature, name cards, event posters
- General clerical support and office administration
- Supported the planning and production of gigs (Umamisounds 1 and Umamisounds 2)
- Operation duties for gigs