Research interests: dance pedagogy, arts and special needs.
Past projects: Garden City Open Dance Championships 2018 & 2019.
Latin dance education for special needs youth: an APSN Tanglin School case study
Latin dance is a dance form that originated from Latin America, and has constantly evolved under the influence of South America as well as Europe and Africa. It is an art form enjoyed around the world that has been found to benefit many individuals including the elderly and those with special needs. With growing support from the public for the special needs communities evident in events such as ‘The Purple Parade'’ and ‘An Extra.ordinary Celebration’, it is crucial to delve deeper into the community to find out about the available networks and resources for Latin dance education for those with special needs. By conducting a case study on APSN Tanglin School, this thesis seeks to find out more about the Latin dance community working with those with special needs in Singapore and the pedagogy employed, using a qualitative research as well as literature review. This study hopes to recommend best practices or a suitable pedagogical method that could also be adapted to other dance forms.
2016 – present
Jonathan & Peggie Dance Studio
Resident dance instructor & assistant manager.
- Conduct regular classes for students of all ages, ranging in age from 3 to 70.
- Manage day-to-day administration and marketing tasks to spread awareness on Latin dance.
May – July 2019
Flair Artz International
Programme consultant (studio intern) & dance instructor
- Researched and created programmes for pre-schools, primary to secondary schools, and elderly centres.
- Planned and created marketing materials for new programmes.
- Assisted the production/event team in various aspects such as research and generating of ideas.
- Attended to phone enquiries and made telemarketing calls.
- Conducted hip-hop and contemporary dance classes for schools including Gongshang Primary School, Dunearn Secondary School, and Pei Ying Primary School.
Nov – Dec 2017
John & Deniece Glee Studios Singapore LLP
Marketing and PR officer & dance instructor (studio intern)
- Wrote a grant proposal for funding of studio’s year-long programme that was eventually submitted to National Youth Council.
- Assisted in studio operations like studio bookings, cleanliness, and customer relations.
- Generated ideas and contributed in marketing efforts to help increase awareness of MADDspace and Show Choir in Singapore and the Asia-Pacific region.